Monday, November 21, 2011

When having to breakup with someone: Stop stalling and just do it

I remember telling this guy, who was asking for my number, that I'm still involved with my ex. He then asked me how long were we together and after I answered, he so graciously burst my bubble by giving me the relationship equation.

Take the time that the two of you have been together and cut it in half; that's how long you've been trying to break up with him.

After hearing this, I instantly disagreed with him and came up with a million and one ways to explain why our "relationship" was different.

Of course by the time I made it home, I realized that he was completely right but I was so pissed off that a stranger (who I had known for a good three minutes) was telling me something that my friends had been telling me for years.

It is absolutely true that most of the relationship is usually spent trying to figure out different ways to leave the relationship.

But why is that? What are we waiting for?

There are many excuses that people will come up with to justify them prolonging a breakup.

"I don't know how to say it"
"It's not the right time"
"His moms birthday is coming up"
"We've been together for X amount of years"
"He was there for me when I was going through (insert problem)"
"My cd's are in his car"


But what exactly are we waiting for?

For him to breakup with you first? For him to cheat on you? For him to transform into the person that you want to be with? Or for the classic, "perfect time?"

Please. Wake. Up.

There will never be a perfect time to breakup with someone and unlike your job, you can't give them a heads up by putting in a two weeks notice. Stop trying to make excuses and just do it.

Granted, no one wants to be that asshole to break someones heart but instead of wasting your time, energy, and in most cases money, be an adult and call it what it is: nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment